The WVSOM Center for Rural and Community Health brings together individuals and community organizations in opportunities to improve quality of life and reduce health disparities through collaborations designed to strengthen community capacity and impact health outcomes.
What does Community Engagement look like?
- Partnerships that are engaged early in a process to establish shared values and alignment of goals
- Concrete objectives focused on visible results
- Identifying championsand supporting them in leadership roles
- Opportunities to invest in collaboration and a process to build trust and collective outcomes
- Building on positive energy in the local environment to generate new resources that promote access to health
- Positive action celebrated to generate ongoing support
- Shared leadership, accountability, and collective impact, and rewards shared among partners
We encourage you to visit WVSOM’s Clingman Center for Community Engagement and the initiatives below to learn more about CRCH’s engagement and outreach.
Community engagement is "the process of working collaboratively with and through groups of people affiliated by geographic proximity, special interest, or similiar situations to address issues affecting the well-being of those people." - CDC Principles of Community Engagement (second edition)
Greenbrier County Health Alliance
A non-profit arm of CRCH, the Greenbrier County Health Alliance (GCHA) develops communities by recognizing their strengths and supporting the people who are already working to improve the health and well-being of their community from a broad perspective.
Greenbrier Community Care Corps
Greenbrier Community Care Corps is a new local program in which volunteers assist family caregivers, adults over the age of 60 or adults with disabilities with nonmedical tasks. This free program assists recipients with errands and day-to-day chores to help maintain their independence.
For more information on receiving services or volunteering with Greenbrier Community Care Corps program, contact:
A program engaging adults in public service work to help meet critical needs in communities nationwide, AmeriCorps offers thousands of volunteer opportunities – many of them close to home, here in West Virginia.
CRCH offers statewide youth-focused programs to public and private schools, civic organizations and groups plus community outreach events on health and well-being topics designed to be accessible and helpful.